In today’s guest post, we go back to basics by looking at how to write an effective press release. This is a foundational skill that will never go out of style.
If you’re not already taking advantage of the PR and marketing benefits of crafting the perfect press release, then you’re definitely missing out. A well written – dare we say, killer – press release that’s then sent to a press release distribution service, or as many relevant news and niche websites as possible, can generate the extra traffic and online visibility you need to take your business or brand to the next level. If you’re yet to get onboard the press release train, and you could use a little help in getting started, read on.
Here are 5 tips for crafting a killer press release to get the word out there on what your business/brand is all about.
Keep it short and fit it on a single page
Less is more when it comes to effective publicity. Keep your press release short – preferably less than one page – by writing succinct passages and paragraphs that get straight to the point. Lots of white space on a page looks more inviting to potential readers, and the more inviting it looks, the more people will read it. It really is that simple.
Don’t send your press release on a Monday or Friday
Aim for sending out your press release – either through a press release service such as iSentia, BusinessWire, PRNewswire, PRWeb, or other relevant websites – mid-week: Tuesday to Thursday between 10am and 2pm is best if you want to increase the chances of your press release actually getting read. Sending out a new press release on a Monday or Friday is a bad idea because most people aren’t in the mood for reading anything “work-related” a day either side of the weekend. Those days are reserved for gearing up for, and then gearing down from, the weekend.
Spend most of your time creating the perfect headline
According to David Ogilvy – one of the most successful copywriters of all time and dubbed “the father of advertising” – only 20 percent of readers actually read the body of a text. The rest, the other 80 percent, simply read the headline and move on. This means that you need to spend a significant amount of your time writing a headline that makes people want to read more. Try and make it as short as possible, but still descriptive and interesting.
Use stats and quotes
People like claims that are backed by research or an expert. Try and include at least a couple of interesting statistics or quotes to support the claims or achievements made in your press release. It will go a long way towards building the trust and authority you need in getting to as many potential new customers as possible.
Stick to the tried and tested format
Finally, don’t try and re-invent the wheel when laying out your press release. Instead, stick to the standard press release format (Click here to download a template and sample in Microsoft Word format). You don’t have long to grab the readers’ attention. If you give them all the relevant information in a format and layout they’re familiar with, then they will spend less time trying to make sense of the document and more time actually reading into it.
Creating a killer press release is one of the most effective ways to boost your PR and marketing efforts. So put these tips into practice today when crafting a new press release, and increase your visibility and traffic online.
Elizabeth Victor is Brand Advisor for iSentia Press Release Service. She enjoys sharing tips on social media monitoring and tracking, as well as news tracking and press release distribution.
Elena is founder of a technology PR agency that works with startups to billion-dollar companies. She is passionate about helping marketers and small business owners with practical publicity strategies, which she's also using for her own bling flip flop company.
Did you enjoy this post? Subscribe now and get new posts either via RSS feed or your email. Please click on the RSS button below or type your primary email address below and click "Subscribe."